Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Giles was nearly no more today.... :(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross/Ali
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Giles was nearly no more today.... :( Reply with quote

Went up to my friends today up near lanark to take pictures of her foals that she will be advertising shortly to sell. Ali and giles came up with me...

Hazel, my friend, has a wee Jack Russell that Giles gets on with - the last time they met, Giles disgraced himself by humping it, but with new improved Giles that wasnt going to be a problem this time Wink

They were running around playing then Giles decided that he was going to play with one of Hazel's young ponies that was turned out int he outdoor arena...

At this point, anyone that has met Giles, knows that he is such a friendly wee thing that tries to be friends with everything that has a pulse - it was only a matter of time before he pushed his luck.

He ran up to the pony, sniffed its nose and then ran round the back of it to do the token bum sniff...

mistake....

The pony freaked out and kicked both legs out (as ponies/ horses do) and connected with Giles head. Exclamation
The wee fella let out a bone tingling shriek followed by continuous cries of the same magnitude! and he was rigid, lying on the ground still...

I couldnt get into the arena quick enough... Ran up to him - he was still wimpering at this point and the noise went right through you... he was lying with legs kicked out straight, his eyes wide open covered in shavings and dirt, not blinking, peed himself and in a general state of shock.

i tried calming him down, clapping him and telling him he was alright but he was still making that horrible noise. By this time Ali had reached me and pushed me out the way, picked him up and comforted him. he stopped crying within seconds and we cleaned him up.
We sat him down and he wouldnt move - wouldnt stand up - Jarvie, the JR came up to him and licked him to make sure he was ok - little response.
Jarvie then danced in front of him wiggling her bum in front of him as if she knew he would perk up at that, but only a little flinch at that one!

No visible cuts, bruises or damage otherwise - we gave him a check all over - this is what started freaking me out even more - you hear all sorts of things about internal bleeding etc with head injuries... so I was for driving back home towards vets and call the emergency number. i keep calling his name to stop him from falling asleep!! - maybe ive been watching too many movies!!! Rolling Eyes

Ali convinced me on way home on M74 to stop in hamilton to see if he will stand up and walk, so I pulled into hamilton retail park (cant remember name of it - across from ASDA). I parked car and as Giles was now promoted to front seat on Ali's lap, he all of a sudden perked up as i stopped the car and took off my seat belt.

I got out and went into boot to get lead - ali brought giles around and he was had started wagging his tail again. put the lead on him and he was walking fine. So we went into the pet shop and he was spoiled with toys, treats, new extendable lead and new tennis balls for his ball-chucker thing.

He took him a short walk and he was back to normal again....
he's been fine ever since. he's eating, drinking and playing again. he's not been sick, his gums teeth and everything normal (i.e. not off-colour)

So we think he just went into Shock - its possible it didnt connect properly though.
luckily the pony wasnt shod otherwise it could have ended right there.

Im sorry if it appears over-dramatised, but if you could have seen the state of him, you would completely understand.

It was no ones fault but mine i think as I didnt call him back quick enough which could have prevented it from happening, but like i said hes just too friendly and has absolutely no fear of things.
Quite horrific - im having a beer.
charlene

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross i think u need more than a beer.......omg poor we giles...ouch is all i can say........poor u and ali, u's must have got such a fright.......hope hes ok now Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROSS.JUST.FOR.THE.RECORD.I.WOULD.STILL.GET.AN.APPOINTMENT.FIRST.THING.TOMORROW.WITH.YOUR.OWN.VET.AND.
GET.HIM.CHECKED.OVER!!!!!..............I.AM.SURE.HE.WILL.BE.JUST.DANDY.BUT.FOR.PIECE.OF.MIND.GET.HIM.ALONG!!!!
Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross....... what an absolutely horrific tale. Poor Giles Crying or Very sad I would have been beside myself.

I'm 100% with Janis though. I would get him to the vets for a check over anyway. He might well have been incredibly lucky but you just cannot be too careful with head injuries animal or human in my opinion - I am sure all is OK but I just KNOW you would never ever forgive yourself if something was wrong and you hadn't been. I'm not trying to scare you, merely do what Janis is doing and urge you to go, just to be safe.

PLEASE let me know the beautiful little man is OK after you've got him checked, for now I'll send all positive vibes I can muster your way & lots of healing gentle kisses & cuddles to him.xxxxxxxx
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - im planning to phone the vets tomorrow.
not sure if they will be open, but i'll speak to someone...
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip , wouldn't be a bad idea to get junior looked at , Remember Lisa and Hek are booked in at 09.10 at Lawries in morning to get his stitches checked if you want a lift !
Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be thinking of you all Ross, take care, try not to worry & don't forget to pass on the healing kisses and cuddles from me to him - they'll see him right.xxxx
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG.....he had had a really lucky escape there Ross..........let us know how he is today.

john
Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping no news is good news. Let us know when you can Ross, will be flitting on and off today so will continue to hope all is well til I find out for sure.x
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Hoping no news is good news. Let us know when you can Ross, will be flitting on and off today so will continue to hope all is well til I find out for sure.x

sorry for lack of info Jack! Laughing Laughing

the wee fella is fine. he's been given a precautionary dose of painkiller/ anti-inflamatory tablets for 5 days.
It seems that he did go into a state of shock.
hopefully this hasnt changed him in the sense of being a friendly wee dog, but I hope it has given him a bit more respect for horses. Rolling Eyes

lucky boy

R
kendal

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ood to hear he seems ok. what did the vet say.

Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No broken bones, no visible injuries, he looks happy and content. Gave us painkillers as a mere precaution. I must admit I feel better now that we have had a second opinion. Very, very, very lucky boy!
Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEW!!!! Thanks for the update Ross. I have been worried about him. So glad all is well. Hopefully he will show more caution in future.xxxxxx
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you poor family!!!! What a fright you must all have had. I'm so glad Giles is OK, poor little boy and how are you two now??
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otto decided to have a close inspection of some horses....the horse's pal chased him away and he was lucky not to get a hoof in the chops.

I didn't know there wasn't a fence between the tow path and the field because normally if there is livestock of any kind, he's on the lead straight away...I was petrified so can only imagine. Poor boy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: