Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dangerous dog rules......grrr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Dangerous dog rules......grrr Reply with quote

Did anyone see the bit on gmtv this morning on dangerous dogs?? Soooo annoying. It was talking about the dog attacks in Liverpool Which were awful But as always happened when people had known aggressive dogs with little kids.

They were suggesting this morning that all "status" dogs ie staffies, rottweilers, bulldogs etc should be muzzled and on a lead at all times when in public. As he was talking he alerted us to the "potentially dangerous" situation behind him where you saw a staffie running around in an empty park wagging it's tail and clearly not threatening anyone!!

When will they learn that banning or making rules on certain breeds won't make a difference. The people who own the dangerous dogs that cause the problems aren't going to listen to any rules they make anyway. After all mostly they own a banned breed so that didn't work last time! I think it's more to do with the owners and training than an individual breed. There are breeds who are more able to do damage and are naturally more boisterous and so take more work. But any rules should be aimed at aggressive/dangerous individual dogs not whole breeds!

What do people think about this?? K
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw it too lesley and i agree and have always said it's the owners and not the dogs.....just because i have three fluffy dogs doesn't mean to say they couldn't turn........it's not about the breeds and until someone in authority recognises this there well always be the finger pointing to specific breeds and it is so so wrong!
Trace
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and it made me angry too.

It should be made mandatory that if you own a dog you HAVE to get dog obedience training and dog behaviour training classes.

It annoys me that they always label the large breeds like rottweilers as dangerous breeds - all dogs are dangerous with the wrong training etc - a small chihuahua can cause alot of damage too, okay not nearly as much as the larger breeds. The dogs are only dangerous if the owners let them be.

I don't trust my shepweiler - I wouldn't let him run around a field/park without a muzzle - I know what he would be like with young children and some other dogs - he is un predictable. I am trying to be a responsible owner with him. I blame myself for the way he is

STOP BLAMING THE BREED

Sorry everyone I don't rant all that much and I don't like getting involved in alot of debates but had to get that off my chest.

trace
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the program, but I do agree with some of your comments.

I would agree that not to blame the dog breed. I agree that you get good dogs and bad owners, but you also get good owners and bad dogs.

One law I would like brought in. If a dog has to wear a muzzle in public, then it must not be allowed off a lead. If they need some freedom, then use a 10-15m long line. But must be under control at all times.

The Scottish Government will be bringing in new dog laws and ASBO's, but once again is the problem of policing it.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:

The Scottish Government will be bringing in new dog laws and ASBO's, but once again is the problem of policing it.

Search our forum ........Alex Neil granted Cumbernauld Dog Training School a personal meeting to discuss his proposed revisions to the Dangerous Dog legislation......we were the first Dog class to be granted this privilege

http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3376

http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2401

john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: