Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Pinch Collar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillian de Almeida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pinch Collar Reply with quote

Hi All

After Sunday's hyperness from Belle, I got a pinch collar for her and it is working wonders and its a joy to go out on a walk and not need to pull her in tight so she doesn't jump on people or other dogs, but when she does pull and let out that yelp I feel so bad Sad

Everytime I look at it I feel cruel but know I need it to train her, has anybody else got any thoughts on them?

Thanks

Gillian
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm very much a fan of them.

Where did you get it?

John
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gillian.....i too like john am a big fan of the prong / pinch collar. as i said to you on sunday it's a bit like power steering for a dog and it does make going for a walk so much more pleasurable. she may squeal a few times when she pulls too far on it as she isn't used to it and everyone feels like you and feels bad and cruel......believe me you are neither....for belle it's just a learning curve for her.....stick with it. you know yourself she is happy and waggy tailed so she is perfectly happy....we have nearly all experienced what you are experiencing so don't fret. glad you posted though as this is the place for questions answers and support!
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it from both perspectives. Yes they dont look the friendlest and no the name doesnt give the nicest connotations.

Originally I didnt like the look of them, I knew no-one would use them to harm there dogs, I just didnt want to use one on mine. I do much prefer them to haltis and definitly check chains, slip collars etc.

For a very long time I went to training and always stood by I would never use one. When I got my second dog I found it a little difficult to move onto walking two at the same time so got one for my new dog, then for my original. They do work, theres no two ways about it. We got one for my mums pup and it has worked wonders. She was very very difficult to walk before it.

Ive now went slightly back to my old way of thinking. I have the prongs and if i feel the need to use them I will, but i prefer not to. I just dont feel there is much need with my two. Muffin pulls a tad but shes controllable and thats the main thing imo. You need to use whatever suits you to make your dog controllable. My OH doesnt like walking them without so he uses them on the dogs and I have no objections, he thinks Muffins a big puller, wheras I dont mind that because I have owned real pullers in the past. Its all down to the individual Smile

It shouldnt hurt your dog. Would always recommend being trained on how to use them before you actually do.

Best of luck, and dont worry your not being mean or cruel

x
Gillian de Almeida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! John I got it from Janis to try out Laughing Going to keep at it!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gillian,

Just to reassure yourself, I would get John (the Trainer) to check your prong for you, since it's him your buying it from, also, that way you know your definitely not hurting your dog, as he is the one with the training and experience to fit these properly. I have used prongs on some of my own dogs since they were 6 months and wouldn't go back, however, i can understand how you feel about the noises they can make.

All the best!
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillian by all means get john to check the collar but as you know kendal and i both checked it and reassured you that as belle grows you will need extra links til she is fully grown. as we said if it is too loose then it can ping off or turn and the prongs face outward and the purpose of the collar won't work.

oh can i just add it is john you are purchasing it from ..... though i have a few for sale too , but it's john you will pay next week!
JenniferF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gillian,

Welcome to the Forum, Belle is lovely, Shadow is in the same class Very Happy

When we first brought Snoop, our 3 year old GSD to classes, he was a nightmare to walk on lead, however, after purchasing a pinch collar and having it properly fitted and checked by John, it is, as you say a pleasure to walk him now. Although shadow is doing well with his heel-work in class, i am definitely going to get him on a pinch when he is six months for the added control when out walking.

I would definitely say stick with it, as it will pay off for you in the future Very Happy
Gillian de Almeida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janis, will give John the cheque on Sunday Smile Had another pleasant walk with Belle this evening, so it has really done wonders and as you said she's still out wagging her tail! I've already ordered more links for it to have for when Belle is growing, she's growing so fast!

See you Sunday!
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by all means get john to check the collar ...... i have been with the club for 4 years and used them all that time so i have a good idea how they are fitted.

see you sunday
Gillian de Almeida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with you fitting it, might just get you to double check I'm putting it in the right place! Should I wear it to the class on Sunday, or just wear it in so no pulling and then in the class use the normal collar?
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll check it no problem and it is up to you when you want to use it. i personally use mine all the time....some dogs learn from them and don't kneed them as they get older....if you are comfortable with it and walking is so much better then use it when in class you can always unclip and clip it on her pink collar and if you struggle clip it back on!. play it by ear and see how she reacts!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that the collar has been sized correctly.........I just didn't realise that Belle was trying one out. As she grows she will doubtless need extra links fitted.....I hold these in stock as we go through them.

I'm glad she is responding well.......I know that it was only at certain times that you felt her pulling was a problem....coming to class being one of them Smile
Get her used to putting it on and off even when she is not going for a walk.....always treat and praise as this will help avoid her being 'collar smart'.

Have a good look through the older posts by using the forum search feature.......lots of great tips and links to be found.

John
Estelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gillian

I don't often write anything here but since I saw your posting I felt I should respond with my own personal experience.

I had real problems with Jed walking on the lead and to be honest just his general behaviour, I spoke to Janis one night and asked her whether she thought a prong collar would help Jed and stop him pulling on the lead. Thankfully Janis gave me the loan of a prong collar for a week and lets just say we haven't looked back.

Jed's behaviour has improved no end. He no longer pulls on the lead, nor does he chase cars, buses, vans etc.

The most impressive thing about the prong collar is the way he doesn't like when I take it off. We have a bit of a struggle each night when I try to remove it and each morning he sits and can't wait to have it on. I don't know if it's a security thing but I think his reaction to the collar speaks volumes.

When I took his prong collar off tonight to take him to the vet he cried and looked into my handbag since he knew I had put it there.

My parents take Jed for walks throughout the week and tell everyone they meet who are experiencing problems with their pups of Janis, the woman at the puppy club who changed Jed into this well behaved dog single handed.

I can't thank Janis enough and include Kendal in my thanks but to be honest Gillian if either of them think it's a good thing - I would go with it.

Good luck with the prong collar, I think it's probably the best decision you will ever make.

Estelle (and Jed)
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:
Hi Gillian

I don't often write anything here but since I saw your posting I felt I should respond with my own personal experience.

I had real problems with Jed walking on the lead and to be honest just his general behaviour, I spoke to Janis one night and asked her whether she thought a prong collar would help Jed and stop him pulling on the lead. Thankfully Janis gave me the loan of a prong collar for a week and lets just say we haven't looked back.

Jed's behaviour has improved no end. He no longer pulls on the lead, nor does he chase cars, buses, vans etc.

The most impressive thing about the prong collar is the way he doesn't like when I take it off. We have a bit of a struggle each night when I try to remove it and each morning he sits and can't wait to have it on. I don't know if it's a security thing but I think his reaction to the collar speaks volumes.

When I took his prong collar off tonight to take him to the vet he cried and looked into my handbag since he knew I had put it there.

My parents take Jed for walks throughout the week and tell everyone they meet who are experiencing problems with their pups of Janis, the woman at the puppy club who changed Jed into this well behaved dog single handed.
I can't thank Janis enough and include Kendal in my thanks but to be honest Gillian if either of them think it's a good thing - I would go with it.

Good luck with the prong collar, I think it's probably the best decision you will ever make.

Estelle (and Jed)

Laughing Laughing this made me laugh.....can i just add it wasn't me who altered jed's behavior but the prong and in wearing it believe it has evoked a memory of being told off by his mum.......really happy though estelle that it has worked for both you and jed. you have also become calmer using it and jed picks up on your vibes and not your stress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: