Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Pulling on lead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Pulling on lead Reply with quote

Hi

Dale is great in the garden and not bad on a lead on our usual walks provided there's no sign of people, dogs, cars ,bikes or anything else to try and chase! However when I try to walk him with a friend and he hasn't got my total attention or if we're somewhere new it's all I can do to hang on. I could hire him out as a tractor around towns. Rolling Eyes

Would it be a good idea to try a gentle leader? I was already thinking of this around traffic If cars go at any speed he eyes them and is so fascinated that all the treats and squeaky toys in the world won't distract him. The trouble is I think collies look miserable on these collars and I don't want to use one for ever. I've been doing the stand still and bringing him back thing and using treats since he started going out. He did such a sudden pull with Mike,who held on, that poor Dale somersaulted backwards! Exclamation
kendal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use halti's on my two, (its pritty much the same thing) and your right they don't relay like it but i think it helps particularly when I'm walking the bowth at the same time, its good cos you can pull there head away from the direction they want to go in, rather than pulling on the neck . my two are getting better so I'm starting use it less cos i know they dont like it.

my two put up with it but yeaster day i met a lab who had one, but every time his owners put it on him he would lie down and role onto his back till the took it off then got back up, so i think it depends on the dog.

if you do use it they may refuse to go with you at first but there not to bad, and like i said i guess it depends on the dog.

good luck

kendal
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janice,

the most common problem is pulling on the lead so you are by no means alone.

I suffered the same problem with my two!

A Halti/Gentle Leader is similar to a bridle on a horse...it lets you control where the head is going, some people find they work great, for others they don't.

I tried them on my two who hated them....I had to go and get the dogs to put them on before a walk. Diesel learned to use his strength to fight against it eventually he snapped it using brute strength at the club Christmas party!

The best method to stop pulling seems to be to simply stop or correct as soon as the lead goes tight.......absolute consistency is the key or Dale will exploit any weakness he sees. Remember he is very young so go easy on the corrections....collies learn quickly but need a firm hand. He needs to respect you and see you as the Alpha....strict but always fair and consistent.

John
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: pulling Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

John, I'm sure your right about being consistant I do try, but the horror KNOWS when we're out with other people or on busy pavements that its not so easy to keep stopping!

However I'll persevere a bit longer before I try Haltis. I have enough of a pantomime getting a lead on him just now. It started because he was worried about the car but its turned into a game. Yesterday I had such a struggle to coax him out of the front door that he managed to escape, bolt across the road and INTO another house! Embarassed Fortunately they saw the funny side. Embarassed
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he get overly excited at the sight of his lead??
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Pulling Reply with quote

Hi

No, Dale doesn't look so much excited as horrified at the sight of his lead! He runs into his cage and won't come out or plays catch me if you can. His other ploy is to lie on his side and go completely limp. He makes me feel so guilty. Normal puppies love going out. Once he's away from the house he's fine. He's even getting quite good at coming back when other people are about. He's just odd around the car and he associates going out with the car. Though he's settling well now once he's in it so I expect he'll get over this stage eventually. By then I'll try a halti if he's still pulling.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice,

try not to chase him to get his lead on....it will become a game for Dale...and my guess is that he is faster than you Very Happy

Don't let him see the lead, get his favourite treat/toy and call him to you, calmly and without saying anything catch his collar, lift out the lead then put it on and reward with the treat/toy and lots of praise....unclip the lead and repeat this often throughout the day.
This will make coming to get his lead on a positive thing. At the moment running away puts him in control you have to regain control of him...again utmost consistency is paramount....your way or no way at all.

john
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: pulling Reply with quote

Hi

Putting him on lead and not going out seemed a good idea but he's too bright. I have to put on a jacket and collect his toy and treats and poop scoop as well or he just isn't fooled!!! Usually by that time I think we might as well go. Collies don't fall for dodges easily. My next dog will be stuffed that way I'm sure to be brighter than him, i think. Laughing

I don't run after him though I'd have no chance. He'll usually sit eventually and let me walk up to him. Or I have to crawl into the crate and drag him out!

My real success this week has been getting him to Dunoon in the car with no drools. That must be progress, and he's getting really keen on chasing a ball .That gives me another reward to use so its not all bad news.

janice
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collies like a mental challenge!!!!!!!!

I went to an obedience show on Sunday.....full of Collies.....plenty pulling like mad on the lead but as soon as it was time to work it was as though a switch had been flicked Shocked

Did you see the Crufts 2007 video? Worth a look.
Dale is very smart an will pick up on subtle body language easily........absolute consistency is a must, he MUST view you as the pack leader.

john
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I know you're absolutely right about leadership. He's a thousand times better than he was but I know there's a long way to go.
Tonight he's just made a puddle on the carpet and he hasn't had an accident in the house since he was 10 weeks old. I wonder if that means he's starting to mark territory. Anyway we'll keep going with Tuesday nights. I still think he could grow up to be a great dog if I survive him Rolling Eyes

Janice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: